Sunday, July 6, 2008

Great Wine at a Great Price - Stefano Farina's Nebbiolo 2005


It's been a little while since I have really, really enjoyed a wine. Well, that might be an exaggeration, since I have been drinking good wines lately, but I really didn't feel inspired to write about any until I tasted this one from last evening: 2005 Stefano Farina Nebbiolo which happens to be The Wine Country's Wine of the Month right now. That's how I happened to buy a bottle to have with some leftover jerk chicken.

Right now, with the economy like it is, the mood out there just seems to be all about value wines. Being a consumer myself, I am not immune to this feeling. Value just feels right right now. Splurging - not so much. Weird. It's weird because when it is time to splurge, people, including myself, love to spend, spend, spend, the more something cost, the better the experience, and it's all about spending. When it is time to save, though, saving is the exciting thing and stuff with tons of quality for the price are so attractive. And so it is with this wine.

For $11, this Nebbiolo really delivers. Everything you would want in an Italian wine, and more. It was plenty great sipping out on the balcony, and I was want for nothing. At the time, I felt like buying a case would be a great idea. In fact, I still might. The wine has all the elements I am looking for in a wine - great nose, especially after it opens up some; firm structure yet silky; great fruit but not too fruity.

I might venture to say this is one of the best tasting Wines of the Month we have ever had! Up there with the 2005 La Cabotte Cotes du Rhone.

2 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

Nancy,
When I was reading you final sentence I was like, "(GASP) What about the La Cabotte she loved so much" then I read the little nod to my Cotes du Rhone...thank you! I'm so going to try the Nebbiolo, we had a bottle open for a few days on the bar but I kept forgetting and then after too many days I feared it would not be as fresh...now I cant wait!
You think it would something I might dig? You have a pretty good grasp of my palate...you think I'm going to like it, I probably will.

Nancy Deprez said...

Hi Samantha,

Hmm, yeah I think you will like it though I don't think Italian red is usually your thing. This is no Aussie Shiraz though! ie you will like it more than an Aussie Shiraz!

I think the wine shows balance - do try it!