Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day thoughts of gratitude (& wine)

Well, its 2009 (finally, or already?) and here we are!

The 2002 Agrapart Mineral Blanc de Blancs performed beautifully, as I knew it would, with the crab legs which we steamed in white wine (Pinot Blanc) and sliced leeks. Fantastic! Those Alaskan King crabs have some meaty legs, definitely. We didn't even need to dip them in melted butter - they were flavorful and firm, with a minerally salinity that was fantastic with the wine.

Yes, the Champagne - fine bubbles, baked apples, some apricot for me, fantastic acidity, hint of savory yeast, all in all balanced and richly concentrated, with a great edge and zip that makes you wish you had a case stashed away somewhere... sigh......

Another great 2008 wine moment!

Oh, I do have one more wine thing to add about yesterday - I worked during the day (like many of you readers might also have) - just a little - I showed some wines to a sushi restaurant (fingers crossed that I make it on the list). I showed a 2007 Hans Wirsching Estate Silvaner, 2007 Gunderloch Dry Gewurztraminer, 2007 Gunderloch Dry Riesling, and 2007 Gunderloch Jean-Baptiste Riesling Kabinett.

Surprisingly, the Gunderloch Gewurztraminer stole the show. Normally, I am not a fan of Gewurztraminer, and I feel that Riesling is heads and shoulders better than Gewurz. However, on this particular day, in this particular situation (sushi restaurant), with this particular buyer (who is partial to dry Gewurz & requested to taste this wine), and maybe in this particular tasting order (as written above), the Gewurz was the star. It made the Rieslings tasted after it flat and boring. So that gave me the indication that perhaps I shouldn't have people taste Riesling after Gewurz. Why I put it before the Riesling was the idea to have the dry Riesling followed by the slightly medium-dry/medium-sweet Kabinett... but in retrospect perhaps the Gewurz at the end, after the Rieslings, would have put the Rieslings in a better light.

The 2007 Gunderloch Gewurztraminer was floral and delicate on the nose, not overly perfumey, but just perfumey enough. On the palate, the wine is crisp, clean, reminiscent of peaches and tropical fruits, but in a restrained, fashion, finishing dry. The buyer guy actually said he felt there was too much acidity and that was unbalanced about it (??? I'm lately getting so many folks telling me my wines have too much acid - huh?), but I thought the wine as a whole was surprisingly enjoyable and not unlike some sakes in its floral but dry nature.

In other words, perfect for a sushi restaurant.

I was happy with the buyer's response, actually, and he asked to take all four bottles to their company New Year's Eve party so the other decision-makers could taste (chef, managers, etc). I have a strong feeling they will choose the Gewurz, but who knows.

All in all, 2008 ended on a high note, and for that, I was greatful.

No comments: