Saturday, February 7, 2009

The State of my Physical Being

I ran the half marathon on Feb 1 quite well, though of course the last few miles were a struggle, but not too big of one. It was good. Completing it helped me complete one quarter of one of my new years goals, which was to complete 4 half-marathons in 2009.

With the help of Johan, I was able to scoot out of the race at the end, after receiving my finishers medal, and dash home, shower quickly, then make my way to the airport (yes, Johan drove!) I was the first one of my group to get there, and then found out our plane was an hour late.... in other words, we did not need to rush so much!

But the important thing is I got here. Mission accomplished.

Since being here, tonight is the only evening I got to take a walk. Walking for just a half hour through the small town of Mulheim was a pleasure. The weather was fair - it had been raining lightly during the day, so the temperature was well above freezing - in the evening there was no rain and nothing impeded the walk.

It was the first time I got to move my legs. I was reminded of how much I needed the exercise.

It is exercise that keeps me sane often, keeps me from feeling like a lump loaded up with heavy food. I have been getting too little of the former, and too much of the latter, so the equilibrium is off.... perhaps I can get it back on track very soon.

Not likely that soon though, since tomorrow night, the plan is to dine at 2 star Michelin restaurant Steinhauer in the Ahr...... maybe I will get up earlier tomorrow morning and have a walk before breakfast......

No comments: